Thursday, April 26, 2012


"Mountain Goat at Logan Pass"
Glacier National Park
(14 X 18, Oil on canvas, Now part of the art collection of Granddaughter Eleanor)

Subject of this painting is based on photos Cindy made on our way up to Logan Pass in September, 2007.  This goat and others were feeding by the road and posing for we tourist.  These are beautiful creatures and great subjects for people like me who like to paint nature. 
I painted the background first and thought I had done a respectable job of capturing the beautiful majestic mountains of Glacier -- which by its self, I think, would have made a nice painting.  Next came the difficult task of possibly ruining my beautiful landscape by painting an animal on top of it.  Since I had never painted an animal before -- especially one in motion --, I was afraid my goat might come out looking like a cartoon character.  But after much preparation and a lot of studying/staring I was pleased with results.  Drawing/painting can really test your powers of observation.  For example, the photos and personal observations showed the mountain goat to be a very powerful looking animal -- but I kept missing the detail(s) that made it so.  Finally moving the front "hump" forward just a fraction -- provided what I was looking for.
This painting was a Christmas (2011) present to my granddaughter, Eleanor.
Framing by Blackbird Frame and Art of Asheville, NC

1 comment: